Well here it is my first build, a 1981 Kawasaki
KZ750e that I bought in from the states along with 7 other bikes
Somewhere in Lincolnshire. Grinder.......Hammer.........Windjammer III....skip....Aaaarhhh that's better
Next I started on deluging the bike, First off, engine out so I could get around the bike.
My idea is that all electrics will sit there under the seat. I did use the stock wiring loom, which fitted, kind of...
Next was the bending of the hoop to form the rear end for the seat and mud guard. The mud guard was off fleebay,Royal Enfield of all things.
Mud guard cut down with brackets in place
Next was the seat pan, I cut the ally plate to
shape then bent it to follow the contours of the frame.
I did a quick mock up to get an idea of what the bike would look like, I had some club man bars kicking about so I pop them on and liked the look. Next thing was strip down, final weld up and a flash over with the grinder and off to the powder coaters.
The engine was in a right old state, there was only one thing I could do .......total strip down.
I'm not going to bore you with the engine strip down (I've probably done that already) However I will say that when you get to the gear box stage take some photos then take some more. If your doing your own build it may take you a couple of months from strip down to rebuild and believe me they will come in very handy.
And here we have the finished engine. Looks good?
Wheels! The stock spokes were in bad shape, rim and hub weren't a lot better. I got my hands on some stainless steel spokes.
WHAT HAVE I DONE!
I attracted the wheel with a grinder and though what have I done. I've never re-spoked a wheel before in my life. Same as the gear box....Photos photos photos.
I made up a frame with a dial gauge and started to dial in the spokes.
And here are the finished wheels with new boots.
Dunlop Road Masters. With a sneak peak of the frame and freshly coved
Paint next, I filtered and rubbed down ready for the under coat
Top coat. I spayed the panels with white paint first then applied some fine line tape to get the two strips. A mate of mine from Smudge printed out the Kawasaki on some vinyl, A lick of black paint peel off the stickers and masking tape.....hey presto
Next a lick of gloss, there was a small amount of orange peel, a bit of 1200 grit and water sorted that.
Here we go the build up, I found that placing a frame over an engine is a lot easier than putting a engine in a frame.
Frame on engine. Simples!
Just about there.
Here the finished Bike. A not so pretty bike to a little KZ750 head turner.